Tuesday 15 January 2013

Etching Research

After looking at all of the existing graphic design work for Far Gosford Street, I have thought about exploring the use of etching or the etching style to convey the street. This is because the history is something that I want to highlight, and original and historic etches immediately come to mind for me when I think about showing buildings and imagery from a bye gone age. I think that the etched style would place emphasis on the character of the street. Etchings are already seen in Coventry to convey the street's history, and so it seems fitting to use this as a starting point to the conveying of my messages of the street. 


Durer, Limbo. 1510.

This is a really nice etch from the 1500's. I think that as soon as you see the style you associate it with history . It would be amazing if I could create an etching style for Far Gosford Street and then produce large a2 or even a1 etches of the Street in an idealized form. I could construct it from existing components of the street but place more emphasis on certain features? The fine line and careful drawing of the above image gives it its delicateness. This is something I would wish to convey if I was to use the style to create my own etchings. There is a sense that there has been a heavy handed approach with the modern features of the street, therefore if I shown these features in a more delicate, more considered way then perhaps they would be viewed in a different light? 



George Soper 1919

This is a completely different style of etch that has a softer feel to the strokes that are made. The image is of a typical historical scene, a horse and carriage. There is no mistaking that this is an old etch or a representation of a historic image. It does however have quite a modern feel to it. I like the uncompleted look that it has. The background is just lightly outlined and suggested. All of your attention is on the two horses and horse rider in the middle of the image. I think that the etched style would be great for the Far Gosford Street project. The historic elements combined perhaps with angles and bright colours would give the piece the combination of history and new development which it needs to convey. 


William Walcot. Portland Place. 1917

This edge has a very soft edge to the lines. This was completed through drypoint and aquatint, hence the textured background. Aquatint is the application of dust which reacts with acid that is placed onto the surface of the etching plate. The places where the dust falls react with the acid and small indentations are made which  collect ink and then give the whole image a textured feel. I am not sure that this would be an effective approach to the production of my Far Gosford Street pieces. I think I want a clean, sharp line for my etches (that is if I decide that etches are the way to go with my work).

No comments:

Post a Comment