Monday 18 March 2013

Initial ideas for new, textural patterns


Above is the piece of architecture that I am going to use to be inspired to create my first initial pattern. Now, my attention turns to making patterns that have a repeated quality to them and also more of a handmade finish. I do not want these patterns to be clean in design as I have already made this mistake in previous ideas and the consequence was that the patterns looked too corporate. 



I do quite like where this is going. It is just a really quick, unrefined idea where I have taken the image and repeated it. I quite like the roughness to the image. I quite like it as an initial concept, I could imagine a refined version of this across the wall of one of the warehouses in Fargo Village. 


Here, I am just experimenting with layering of the pattern I have made over the image of the warehouse, in a similar fashion to the collages of Corinne Wasmuht. It is an initial concept of how I could possibly layer the patterns onto the buildings. Perhaps, when I give a stencil to an artist, I could suggest that instead of covering the whole wall of a warehouse they just cover a small section of the warehouse wall? This way, I could define that patterns like the above are created. Also, look at the number in the middle right of the warehouse just bleeding off the edge of the page. The image has been created by vectoring the outline of the warehouse. I only did this so that there was some contrast in the outline so that it stood out against the pattern and was visible. However, this number is particularly interesting. Generally, warehouses are numbered when they are used as their original purpose which is storage. Perhaps I could play on this idea? Instead of writing words describing the type of shopping experience in each warehouse, I could number the warehouses. 








Another initial idea for a pattern. This is definately getting somewhere. I have taken a piece of brickwork pattern and made it a vector through the live trace tool in illustrator. I have then layered the outcome with interesting results. Also, what is worth noting here is this pattern could actually be created using a very simple stencil. I am going to develop this pattern idea as I think that it is starting to work, it has the hand rendered, textured qualities and repeated but unsymmetrical properties that I am after. 


I am really liking this idea. i have taken a pattern inspired by some architecture detail underneath the edge of a roof, vectorised it and repeated it to turn it into an interesting pattern. The number on this warehouse front idea is just a visualisation of an initial concept but I think that it works effectively against the patterned surface. The numbers too could be produced by using a stencil. Maybe I could experiment with creating numbers out of these stencils? 






No comments:

Post a Comment