Monday 4 March 2013

pattern research

Corinne Wasmuht 1986-2001










This is the collage style of Corinne Wasmuht. She takes photographs and turns them into really intersting photo montages. The randomness to the composition of these montages give them an unedited feel to them that i particularly like. I have already discussed that I want to highlight a handmade feel and quality to the patterns that I am going to create. Perhaps this is the way to go about it. The photos are arranged in a pareticularly aesemetic, rather random way. Each collage is completely different in appearance and visually dynamic. Although the collages look like they have been completed hastily on first impressions, further analysis shows that in actual fact a great attention has gone into constructing the compositions. Colours in every collage work well together. Hues of photographs have been carefully selected so that they compliment each other. 
I am going to experiment in creating patterns and then lay them out onto buildings in a similar way to Wasmuht's collages. I could create the patterns, and then crop areas to then drop onto buildings in an interesting collaged way. 

Max Ernst- Frottages

I was in the library researching and i found this really old book showcasing work by Max Ernst. I was going to overlook it until I opened it and started to read it. It showcased Max Ernst Frottage work. A style of rubbing that creates pattern out of texture. This is such a fantastic idea. Some of the textures and patterns that he has created through this process are amazing. Plus, it has the heavily textured, handmade quality that I really like and am trying to highlight through design. 




Adding colour to these rubbings, like above, create even more interesting and dynamic patterns. He carefully selected the surface before starting. They included floors, walls and embossed and debossed typography. 



Above is exactly the the type of feel of pattern that I want to create for the walls of the warehouses in Fargo Village. The pattern here is a repeat pattern, but because it has been created by manually moving the paper along, areas do not line up perfectly. This creates a beautiful rough feel to the pattern design. Perhaps this rubbing idea is a concept that I should explore when considering pattern construction for Fargo Village? I could make rubbings of the old walls, woodwork, flooring and typography that is down the street. 



Soft Surfaces- Judy A. Juracek



I have found this book most inspiring for producing patterns. It is a book that shows the potential of pattern making onto fabric. I think it is great source of research for my Coventry patterns. Above- Although these partterns are really intricate and illustrate floral which I am not really after, I have documented these images because of their use of colour. The colours compliment each other. This gives the patterns a more sophisticated feel. 


I really love the bleed effect that these died fabric patterns have. They look like they have been dragged to the left as they have gone through a photocopier (a trend at the minute in design). I particularly like the top image that is made of blue and white circular shapes. 




The image on the second row down, left side is exactly the type of pattern I want to aim to produce with my Fargo Village advertisement. It is an interesting repeat pattern that I think would look great on the walls of the warehouses in Fargo Village. I also love the colours used in this piece. Patterns look great when the background colour is a lighter tint of the forground colour. 




No comments:

Post a Comment