Monday 25 February 2013

Typeface

I have been considering what type face to use for all of my Fargo Village text in the re-design of the branding. My initial thoughts have been to look at sign writing in a Victorian style.



The above two images are particularly interesting to me. They are hand drawn, loosely created type with 'swirly' ends. I think that this style is really visually interesting and dynamic. It would look great with a lino-cut edge. Perhaps one way to approach this project would be to lino cut all of the rebranded elements, the signs, patterns, building frontages etc. This would give a consistancy to the design. However, I think that this does not really have a contemporary feel to it. I could create the type in this style using vivid colours (the colours that will make my colour scheme for the rebranding) but again, I am not sure how effective this will be as a rebranding for the Village. I think that I want a typeface that is both sensitive to the history of the place but also contemporary, clean and modern. This then brings me to the idea of using a typeface that references the victorian industrial era, where type faces such as egyptiennes and wide latins were used. 


This image is really effective because the type is in a completely separate, self contained box that separates the busy image from the type. This is a way which I could separate my text on buildings etc with the patterns, if I want to explore patterns that cover the whole building rather than just small parts or sections of the building .However, one other way to explore the patterns on the buildings would be to just have small references to them embedded in the type or on one of the corners of the type. This is definately something that I need to explore further. 


One aspect of the type that I have looked at here that I am particularly drawn to is the drop shadow on some of the characters. This creates a bold character with a 3 dimensional element.


I really like this logo. It uses a serif victorian styled typeface, and has the effect of being printed. It is very cleverly designed, the serif font for the name is balanced by the light, thin font that is below it. The contrast between the two creates an interesting balance. This is definately something that I wish to explore when developing my type. Also, the fact that the serif font is separated by containing it within a decorated box is also of interest to me. I am wondering what Fargo Village would look like in something similar, with a decorated edge around a containing box? 


The above style of text is a really effective use of a victorian bold serif typeface. The typeface is really powerful set against a black background, and is instantly associated with the era that it origionated. 
It uses the steriotypical light sandy yellow against a black background and horizontal and vertical lines structure the sign. This is typical of Industrial Victorian signage.  


I think that the drop shadow on the typeface above is particularly powerful. It is again typical of Victorian industrial signage. The serif font below this type reading "Jessie's Fold" has the feel of Vicorian industrialism that I am going to try and emulate through the design of a typeface for the rebranding of Fargo Village. 



No comments:

Post a Comment